Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Life is funny- A Mother's day Decision

The saying goes "Life is Funny"...but, recently I have been having a hard time trying to find the humor. It's been a rough month- for me, for a few family members and for a couple of friends.  So in the day to day activity I try to cherish the small triumphs and moments.

But there has been  moments of Joy! One is that my cousin Amanda is expecting her first child with her husband, Henry, in November, so exciting.

Second- Aiden's school had a Mother's day Tea the Friday before Mother's day. It was so sweet and I found myself a little emotional too.  We got to come in the last hour of school and the kids were so excited to have their Moms there. They sang us songs, read us a story and gave us a present to plant in the ground (aka flower seeds). All in all- Aiden was so excited I could come and honestly I wouldn't have been anywhere else.


I also had a lovely Mother's Day. Keith and I (along with the boys) attended a Mother's Day brunch with some FH families from the Facebook group we're a part of and I could not have been happier to share this day with them. It was nice to be among families that understand the  struggles of a child with limb deformities. The FH children there were of all ages and stages of surgery. A few of the families already feel like close friends even though this is the second time we met them. It was so nice as a new FH mom to share my concerns and struggles and hear from the others the other side of this journey. And yeah-  one of the Mom 's is also going to make me some covers for JP's fixator! It was great to see the kids all played along together.
 This is JP with a fellow FH friend- Nick, who's 10 and has gone thru several surgeries already and is similar to JP. 

Recently, Keith and I have decided on which doctor/hospital to go with for the surgery... finally. We're going to go with our "first choice" - Dr. Nichols at DuPont. She was the first doctor to give us answers during uncertain times. We always felt she was an amazing doctor and we know she loves our son and will take good care of him. And one of the FH Mom's from the group help me realize she's just as amazing and good as the Doctors at Sinai/Rubin Institue of Advance Orthopedics (not that I didn't know that, but it was nice to hear from a RIAO mom)

Of course with a date- that means the count down begins, so in less then 3 months JP will undergo his first surgery and in two weeks he'll go for his MRI. I'm trying to get thru the hurdle of dealing with this, but the FH Mom's assure me the first time the kids go under and go in for surgery is the hardest because of the fear of the unknow and it will get better.

No comments: