Friday, August 2, 2013

1 week and counting, but who cares when you have an awesome worker twin

Well we have made it down to the one week before JPs surgery mark. I have a lot of emotions going on in my head and I feel like I'm on some kind of wild emotional ride. At times I can't think of the surgery or talk about it without tears. I can't believe it's finally here... after almost two years of research, consulting doctors, networking with other FH families and now our turn to start the journey. That really is  what this surgery will start, JPs journey. Although this might be the first surgery it's definitely not the last and as I mention before its the beginning of giving JP a "normal" leg. Okay so normal might be defined a little different for us now, but its his turn to run, jump, and do all the things kids (especially boys) do to drive us parents crazy.

This past week I had to travel to upstate NY for work. While I hate leaving my family for a few days, I love the opportunity to hang out with my coworkers up there and they always make sure I feel like part of the group.

While up there I got the opportunity to have lunch with an old co-worker (as well as a current one). Her and I were pregnant at the same time, in fact we were both pregnant with our second son and our due dates were a week apart. It was nice to have someone to commiserate with about the pains/annoyance of pregnancy (yes many of my teammates had kids and been pregnant before, but lets be honest we all forget till we're back there- lol).  I felt like it was how her and I formed our relationship.  Our babies ended up being 3 days apart and we like to refer to them as worker twins.

She didn't return from maternity leave, in fact she moved. We have kept up with each other and watched our boys grow by the beauty of Facebook. She's has also followed JPs situation by reading this blog and Miles of JP. 

Well when we met up for lunch, she gave me a gift- it was an awesome hospital bag for JP AND filled with lots of goodies (toys, books, and stuff animals). I am overwhelmed by her sweetness and generosity, in fact it still brings tears to my eyes.


One of Jonathan's favorite items was his stuffed Curious George Monkey. He's been walking around the house with it since I returned home- hugging it and saying "Monkey". I think we have found our comfort toy to bring to the hospital.

 My ex co-worker's generosity and all the thoughts and well wishes I received from my NY co-workers this week reminded me that there are so many people "routing" for JP and it reminds me of the amazing support network we have.

I know this week is going to be hard for me and I know next Friday my wave of emotions will be more intense...feeling tears of sadness when I hand my baby over to the trusted medical staff & his doctor...tears of fear and anger as we await word on how everything went and question why Jonathan has to go thru this...and tears of joy. The tears of joy might not be immediate, but I know when that leg is "revealed" to us after 6 weeks in cast, it will be overwhelming happiness and something we will continue to have as we move along this journey and know this is the RIGHT decision for our JP.

No comments: